The mission of GSUVETS is to increase morale and retention by providing Veteran employees (both faculty and staff) support, networking, and career development opportunities. A secondary goal is to increase camaraderie among Veteran employees by offering networking opportunities and linking Veterans across campuses to increase institutional knowledge and Veterans’ awareness. We aim to improve Veteran recruitment and retention efforts as well by providing opportunities and collaborative spaces for Veterans in which we can provide knowledge, resources, service and developmental experiences, workplace discussions, and opportunities for community involvement in Veteran organizations.
Georgia State is ranked the #1 Military Friendly® Tier 1 Research Institute in the nation. GSU supports its veteran staff and faculty with opportunities for military and veteran networking, camaraderie, career development, and an increased awareness of veterans’ trends and issues. Also, GSU has been named a VETS Indexes 4 Star Employer as part of the 2022 VETS Indexes Employer Awards which "recognizes Georgia State’s commitment to recruiting, hiring, retaining, developing and supporting veterans and the military connected community".
Dan Pasciuti, Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor of Sociology and affiliate faculty of the Urban Studies Institute and the Center for Access to Justice. He served 8 years in the United States Army (1996-2004) as enlisted and a non-commissioned officer with I Corps and the Joint Forces Training Base. After completing his Ph.D. at the Johns Hopkins University, Dan joined GSU in 2016 as a comparative-historical and urban sociologist. His research interests include contemporary and historical processes of urbanization and urban development, global inequality, social change and development, and contemporary issues of governance and (re)organization of urban areas.
Randy Barrone is the Interim Director of Military Outreach at GSU. He served in the United States Army as an Airborne Military Policeman from 1988-1992. He earned an Associate of Arts in Criminal Justice degree from Georgia Military College, a Bachelor of Science in Social Science degree from Mercer University, and a Master of Science in Leadership degree from Mercer University. After his military service, he went on to serve as a law enforcement officer from 1992-2017. He joined GSU as a Military Student Advocate in 2018.
Remembering Joseph Thomas Cronin II
Joseph Thomas Cronin II, age 73, of Alpharetta, GA passed away on January 1, 2021. Joe was a Computer Information Systems Tenure Track CIS faculty member at Georgia State University Clarkston Campus. Joe is a Georgia State alum and retired from IBM after a 30-year career as Global Director of Implementations. His extensive background provided him with a vast array of real-life stories to share with his students and he had a keen passion for student success.
Prior to his academic and corporate pursuits Joe served as a Captain in the US Army Special Forces during the Vietnam War and was decorated for his valor. His passion for serving veterans continued with his active service with veteran organizations, especially the John’s Creek Veterans Association and GSUVETS, where he served as Treasurer. He will be missed.
- Military Outreach Center (MOC), a repository of professional and academic resources, to include community-based partnerships and veteran organizations that support student veterans in their unique experiences.
- The Warrior Alliance (an MOC partner) is a free resource where veterans and their families can receive guidance and referrals for help in achieving a fulfilling civilian life through the collaboration between the organizations that can support them.
- Department of Veterans Affairs, a comprehensive resource for veterans covering health care, disabilities, education, military records, benefits, housing assistance, pension, careers & employment, and more.
- Georgia State University Honored for Employment of Veterans - Georgia State University earned the 2021 VETS Indexes 4 star employer for its employment of veterans and others in the military-connected community.
- By-Laws of GSUVETS - Click here to view and download.